Friday, June 4, 2010

Culmination of a Dream

 

 

 

 


For all the hoopla in China about getting into university in China, there is surprisingly little fanfare about getting out. There are a multitude of reasons for this, none of which I'll go into here. That would mean writing a research paper on the topic.

At any rate, my university doesn't have any graduation ceremonies. The students rent caps and gowns and have their own pictures taken when and where they want. If their parents aren't from the area, then they usually don't have any family members with them to take photos.

I ran into three of my students from my first year in the northwest. I was so excited to see them and to actually recognize them (I have now taught over 1300 students and have also been exposed to Art's 1300+ students). I was on my way to class and didn't have a lot of time, but I quickly whipped out my camera and we snapped away.

The job market in China is difficult so I was pleased to hear that two of the three have already found jobs. The third girl (the short one) is considering getting a PhD and didn't seem too worried about her options.

Their smiles were infectious and their joy was so obvious. Congratulations to all my students!
Posted by Picasa

0 comments: