Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Breakfast, northwest China style!

 


After my morning walks, I stop by this shop to buy a "bingzi jia cai." This literally means, bread stuffed with vegetables. If I'm lucky, I get there just after the bread comes out of the "oven."

This flat bread is about 4 inches diameter and is simply bread, water a and a wee bit of oil. It's rolled into a ball, pressed flat and then pressed with some sort of circular iron thing. They then place it into a two sided griddle . . . kind of like a sandwich maker. When it's done, it's brown and crispy on the outside, but soft on the inside. It's amazing!

People like to eat these breads alone or with "stuff" in it. On the other side of the street, you can buy these filled with any meat or veggie you can find! However, this man has my favorite . . . steamed slivered (shoestring) potatoes and carrots, steamed lettuce/cabbage and jalapeno peppers! Oooh la, la! Words cannot describe how good this tastes! It's very filling and after I've had one of these, I can easily go another six hours without eating.
Posted by Picasa

0 comments: