Monday, November 23, 2009

The terrorists are winning . . .

 


We took a quick trip to Beijing this weekend to deal with a dental issue. While there, we stopped at a grocery store that carries western food items. I had planned on buying some cream cheese to make frosting this weekend for my annual "Great Aunt Helen's Pumpkin Cake." However, it turned out cheaper to buy the frosting already made . . . plus, I didn't have to keep the canned frosting refrigerated.

Enter the airport. We didn't check any luggage flying in, and didn't want to check any luggage flying out. However, the canned frosting got flagged in security. They didn't know what it was. They took it out of the luggage and Michael panicked . . . "Mommy! They're not taking away the frosting, are they? Mommy? Mommy! WHAT ARE THEY DOING WITH OUR FROSTING?!?!"

I was stressed, but trying to stay calm. Art was trying to take care of the other bags. My ticket got entered into the computer system as someone who had "suspicious" material in their suitcase. The lady put my bag through again and it got flagged again . . . this time, it was the small bottle of spray hair gel. They took that out and kept it. Michael and Rachel were still antsy about the frosting and wouldn't stay away from the table. The lady told me to wait, that she was going to check on it. She put the bag through a third time and this time it passed. The six small bottles of shampoo and lotion were no problem!

Security then took my two cans (plastic tubs, actually) of frosting to a desk, along with my suitcase, to a supervisor to deal with it. The original lady was very kind to me, making small talk about my kids and how lucky I was to have a son and a daughter. I replied that I knew I was blessed, but that at airports, they tended to give me a lot of trouble. I used the Chinese word for "mischevious" and she laughed. She left me at the counter, saying that I spoke Chinese and that the supervisor would have no problem communicating with me.

The supervisor had me open the frosting. She smelled it and wrinkled her brow. I don't think cream cheese frosting is a smell she had encountered before. She then had me taste both tubs. She told me to go ahead and take it, but next time, to check it in.

A simple process to go through security took 20 minutes. Yup . . . the terrorists are definitely winning!
Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Valorie said...

Then again, maybe not.... Women and children mean nothing to terrorists. You all had an impact on the airport personnel. And they had an impact on you. In fact, in this case, both ladies were PERSONAL. The first acknowledged the dignity of you and your children as people, and not mere people but blessings. The second treated you and your frosting as something that should be sensibly observed and tested. Definitely outside the airport security "box." (Or tube in this case!) I'm glad you all made it through. Some One is winning, and it's not a terrorist!