Sunday, December 6, 2009

Cough, cough, hack, hack

 

 

 


Wintertime in my city is filled with the sound of hacking and coughing. Once the coal-generated heat comes on (usually around November 1), the air becomes thick and grey. The coal heating is a top layer of an already polluted area as we have two major petro-chemical factories in our city that belch out black stuff most of the time.

However, wintertime is the worst. Most days look like this. The city sits in a bowl with mountains on all sides, but one can seldom see them in the winter months. It's not uncommon for everyone's lungs to be affected one way or another and this year, I am no exception.

I always feel like I'm coming down with a cold. I caught pneumonia last month and recovered just fine, but still have an achy chest and a cough that just won't go away. I pulled out a humidifier today and will give it a shot at providing moisture in this incredibly dry area. No, the greyness isn't fog and humidity. We live south of the Gobi Desert and it's beyond dry here.

I hope it clears up soon . . . in more ways than one.
Posted by Picasa

0 comments: